I just finished my first day out on sea! I mentioned yesterday that this boat rocks allot because of rough seas, but the seas are calmer today and the boat STILL rocks allot. It is sooo difficult walking in a straight line! I still have yet to get sea sick. I feel like I am going to have the best balance after this trip. Today was orientation, it was an extremely hectic day. We did get a big break where my roommate and I decided to play ping pong, let me tell you playing ping pong on a boat that rocks this much is very difficult. I feel like my lucky streak with random roommates hasn't run out yet because my roommate and I get along really well. We also had the involvement fair where I decided to sign up for an on-board family, which is pretty much a group of people that get together and are lead by one of the older people on the ship like the life long learners. I also signed up to critique resumes and to give interviewing advice to students. I figured that I have been to many career fairs and have wrote many resumes that I can pass on some of the knowledge I learned to the students. I also signed up for intramural volleyball, that should be fun in a rocky and windy ship.
I also met many more people, I really don't know how I am going to remember this many names, I sometimes wished we had name tags. We had a trivia night and my team was probably the most obnoxious team, but I mean that in a good and funny way. My supervisor put me to work today in the involvement fair and I found that this work-study is a really great way to meet people.
I am very surprised by a few things on this ship. First of all, there is many families on the ship. I guess the professors bring their families, I met quite a few of them and they are all really nice. I guess their children take classes on the ship. I would have loved to been one of the children. Second of all, the service on this boat is not what I expected from a ship that is essentially a collge at sea. I guess I associate college with bad dorms that are dirty. On this ship, we have someone clean our rooms everyday and our bathroom. My bed is made every morning! Someone fills my drink and cleans my plates. I am not used to this kind of service but I know I am liking this allot.
Monday, January 18, 2010
Orientation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't get use to all that service! It looks like you are having a blast.
ReplyDeletebetter than home eh?!
ReplyDelete